Why Dagbamba believe in God; arguments for the
existence of God; God’s greatness; how Dagbamba remember God in their daily
Proverbs and sayings
Dagbani words and other search terms
outline by paragraph
<top of page>
Belief in God is universal in Dagbon
1. different types of religious practices in Dagbon
2. all Dagbamba believe in God
3. God as something that cannot be compared to anything
Reasons for believing in God
4. human beings
5. the way a baby is created
6. any human work also depends on God
7. any human work has its limitations; example: going to the moon
8. human works are small compared to God's works: light, rivers, mountains
10 rain is more than irrigation; medicines cannot cause rain
11. the sun and the moon and the earth
Why God hides His purpose
12. mystery; sometimes God's works are unexpected and cannot be understood
13. God prevents medicine from working and confounds plans
14. God hides his plans because He wants humans to doubt themselves
God’s power with death
15. human being cannot prevent death
16. Dagbamba medicine to wake up dead body is not real
17. human cannot do God’s work
Differences in the human condition
18. a person’s good life or bad life is the will of God; wealth from God
19. the differences in human condition for respect and belief in God
20. the success or learning of children not in parent’s control; from God
21. nothing is equal in the world; heat and cold, rain and drought
Belief in God and respect
22. Dagbamba look at the world and accept the greatness of God
23. belief and fear of God helps people respect one another; good or bad acts become destiny
24. example: how Dagbamba receive strangers
25. example: contrast to other tribes who do not give the same amount of respect
Proverbs and Sayings
<top of page>
As for “I don’t want,” there is no medicine for “I don’t want.”
Dagbamba say that when the river is dry, it is not a shame to the river; it is God who is in shame.
This sun, this moon, this earth, and the mountains and the sky: these are God’s rooms.
The person who says there is no God is the person who doesn’t know, and the one who doesn’t know is the one who doesn’t want.
Sometimes you will be holding something in your pocket and saying, “I’m walking to give this to so-and-so.” By the time you get near that fellow, you will change to another way and give it to a different fellow. It is God Who directed you to change and give it to the other one.
God wants us to doubt ourselves.
What God wants is what He does.
In everything we are doing, there is God inside.
Everything is standing on the power of God.
“There is God” is better than “There is no God.”
Death hasn’t come yet, and medicine is bluffing.
It is God Who is for your life.
Our life is a promise between us and God.
God cannot let everything be equal. If everybody were equal, we wouldn’t have respect among ourselves, and we wouldn’t have belief that God is there.
In the Holy Qu’ran God says that human beings should be more than one another.
In this world, there is nothing that is equal.
The work of God is just too great. We can’t take our sense and compare it with anything, and we can’t take our work and compare it to God’s work.
An animal knows the one who owns it.
Maalams say that God put us on the world so that we would come and look after ourselves, to search for what we can get and then come back home.
God likes us, and that is why He has put us here.
Key words for ASCII
<top of page>
Towns and places